Friday 20 March 2009

The Ultimate Celebrity Endorsement - FREE - BlackBerry : how the time have changed


I spoke last week at the Telegraph Business Club/Business Scene London Connections event at the Royal Lancaster Hotel. One of the event sponsors was BlackBerry (who I will be working with on another project shortly). An underlying theme of my presentation was that of word-of-mouth.


A quick look up on google for BlackBerry and you come to the great BBC headline Obama Allowed to Keep Blackberry. According to one article Obama's endorsement would have cost in the order 50,000,000 dollars to pay for.

Quotes like "I’m still clinging to my BlackBerry,” Obama said Wednesday in an interview with CNBC and The New York Times. "They’re going to pry it out of my hands." are literally priceless.



A few observations that link to my previous threads...

- Deliver a legendary product and people will become attached/emotional about them... they will tell others... they will share the secret... they will become raving fans... they will endorse your product.
- The wonder of celebrity endorsement especially if it has NOT been paid for... IS worth its weight in gold
- Great products and services have buzz: simple yet complex, conspicuous in use, personal use, relatively expensive.
- Great products tick my RSO list - they are Remarkable (astounding and worth make a comment about); they are Simple and Obvious to use, explain show, discuss.


I have been a BB user for a number of years... The BlackBerry has it all! So do Martin guitars, Global knives, Aga stoves...
So, what about your business:
- do you provide legendary, remarkable service (or dull, boring , mediocre)?
- do people talk about you product? Can you find a way to encourage them?
- does your product have buzz?
- is it remarkable, simple and obvious?







OUCH - this was written in March 2009 - "I have been a BB user for a number of years... The BlackBerry has it all! So do Martin guitars, Global knives, Aga stoves..." How the times have changed....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Mrs.Obama will do the same for Hoover?